Jon Kabat-Zinn, founder of MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction), wrote the book Full Catastrophe Living when he and his wife were knee deep in raising their kids. It’s about being your best self in the midst of the chaos of parenting.
And, for goodness sake, let's stop comparing ourselves to the neurotypical families that make up most of the population.
The chaos doesn’t go away but we can choose to see it differently, even with our ADHD minds. To bless the mess rather than resisting what is.
1. Breathe and reset – There is a quiet place within you. Take 3 deep belly breaths to reset your nervous system. Breathe in through the nose for 3 and out through the mouth for 6. And, in the process you’ll be providing your organs with oxygen rich blood.
2. Move your body – Movement is a natural energy changer. You can literally move fear, doubt, worry and overwhelm right out of your body with a brisk walk, hula hooping or biking just to name a few. And, talk about overcoming overwhelm...a Vision Walk does both! Move your body (and stuck energy) and move your life (a life vision is the antidote to overwhelm).
3. Follow the joy – The more you seek joy the more joy will seek you. Rather than focusing on overwhelm, you can find little bits of joy in your daily life. Try sitting and petting your dog, sipping your favorite tea, or reminiscing about a beautiful moment or experience with your child.
4. Schedule self-care – Mom sets the tone for the home and if you’re not taking care of yourself your family will feel it. Schedule time for you daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly. It can be as simple as creating a life-giving morning routine to going on a solo R&R retreat a few times a year.
5. Appreciate the little things – Gratitude and appreciation vibrate at the same energetic frequency as joy. I like to call it the back door to abundance. Take some time daily to appreciate all that you have and bring the feeling of it into your day.
P.S. Have you taken a vision walk yet? It's FREE, easy and will get your body and your life moving toward what you want for yourself, your family and the world (not to mention it's a dopamine hit your ADHD mind will love). Click the green I'M IN! button below for all the deets.